3.4.2015

Lolita Blog Carnival: How Would You Re-Do Your Wardrobe

Hello, everyone!

This week's Lolita Blog Carnival topic can be interpreted many ways. I took this approach; how would I re-do my current wardrobe, or how would I like to do things as a beginner, if I knew then all the things that I know now.

Well then, how would I like to re-do my current wardrobe?

 Re-do is quite a strong, almost chaotic word. I wouldn't want to re-do anything. I'm quite happy with my wardrobe as it is; most items match with each other (or don't match, but still work together nicely, when I don't feel like being all matchy). I have been building this wardrobe many years (about nine, to be exact), and I believe I have already found my own style in lolita. One of my friends described it very fittingly, saying "Your lolita style is very champagne shaded." I wouldn't dramatically change anything, but of course there are always those little things.

I would like to add more non-print dresses to my wardrobe, for example. I especially like old school pieces, or else pieces that have old school feeling to them. Applique, embroidery, ruffles, laces and bows are all lovely details, which you get less in printed garments. To be honest, I've grown a little bit bored with print dresses, or at least I have so many of those that it'd be a nice change to have more dresses without print.


Those just seem to be very hard to find! I would also like to sell some dresses that I don't wear that much anymore (and actually I have sold and swapped some dresses during the least year or so). The biggest single flaw in my wardrobe is the absence of a nice, roomy chocolate brown bag! It's not that I mind mixing different shades of brown, but it just would be a nice thing to own. The problem with this is that I'm very picky, and nothing is quite what I am looking for (not even the bag pictured!).


Okay, what would I like to do differently now compared to what I did nine years ago?

The short and simple answer to this is: nothing.

And here comes the long answer for those who care to read it; I wouldn't do anything differently. I made a lot of mistakes, and I looked quite horrible for the first years in this style. Things were very different back then. There really was no brand, neither new nor second hand, available outside of Japan. Almost none of the brands shipped abroad, and even if they did, I couldn't afford anything from them. There was not many indie brands, either, and certainly not Finnish ones. So we had to make-do with flea market, goth shop and offbrand finds that were even remotely loliable. It does tell something about the passion behind the fashion; people really wanted to wear lolita so badly, even though it was so hard!

I have also tried almost every lolita style there is (such as wa, ero and hime, too). I started as a (wanna-be) gothic lolita, as that was The Thing then. After that, I fell in love with sweet lolita, quite possibly because I wished to forget my "gothic lolita" days. Then, after some years in sweet, I started to crave for more mature, elegant, yet still cute look, and started to change my wardrobe more towards classic and sweet-classic, the state it is now in. In the past nine years, I have re-done my wardrobe three times. I think this is it.

 Me in 2009.

And yet, I'd like to do nothing differently. I can see now that the mistakes I made all thought me something and helped me work towards the goal of being a good lolita. Now I am one, even if I say so myself. And all the style phases I went through felt right at the time. I certainly didn't like classic lolita nine years ago, so why would I want to tell my younger self to buy classic instead of gothic lolita? My younger self, being even more stubborn than I am today (having worked on that, too) would simply tell me to shut up and let her wear what she really wants to wear.

The most important thing; even if I  - and many of my friends, who still are here after all these years! - were not very good lolitas, we were still having fun. Even though we did everything wrong and didn't realize it, we had fun. I would never change that fun, those moments with my precious frilly girls, for anything. What's happened is in the past, in the memories, and I'll let it stay there. Now I'm mature enough to smile at my mistakes, too. And the sense of style developed eventually, too.

What would you, dear readers, like to change about your wardrobe, current or past? Feel free to discuss in the comments!  

P.S. Check out the other LBC participants this week, too.

Courtly Dreams For Burgher

P.P.S. Happy Easter holidays, everyone! ♥

3 kommenttia:

  1. I started developing a style very late compared to other people so at first, it was a disaster. I'm constantly evolving though and now I'm in a much better place to understand what works and what doesn't. Now my experimentation actually looks good on me instead of being a mess and I would change quite a few things if I could go back and do it again

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Well, it's always a bit disastrous when you start with a new hobby, be that style related or something completely else. Been there, too! :') I'm happy to hear that you are improving - it's always nice to see the progress, isn't it? Good luck for future experiments and have lots of fun with your style! ^^

      Poista
  2. Would you mind telling me about the toned down/ printless dresses you did find? I am also looking for them. Please email me at hetsushimeisje@gmail.com
    I am afraid I will not receive your notification otherwise ;)

    VastaaPoista